Sophie

How many languages do you speak?

51 posts in this topic

I speak English, je parle le français, ich spreche Deutsch, and/et/und/ãã—ã¦ã€ ç§ã¯æ—¥æœ¬èªžã‚’話ã—ã¾ã™ã€‚

1 person likes this

I just speak English, and I know some French from four years I took in high school (though I've forgotten most of it, lol)

I am also currently taking an American sign language class just for fun and am potentially going to take more sign language classes at my university in the fall :)

I think it would be so cool to be multi-lingual!

2 people like this

Just English...I took Spanish for 6 years but I've forgotten a lot of it lol :P

3 people like this

English. And I can read and write French fairly well, but I'm not that great at speaking it. Oh, and I can read, write, speak and understand Glaswegian.

xxx

As mentioned previously, I used to speak a little ASL, and I took Spanish in school for a few years but forgot most of it.

But I speak a few programming languages fluently! </nerd>

1 person likes this

Oh, and I can read, write, speak and understand Glaswegian.

xxx

I had to google Glaswegian to see if you were making that up. Lol.

1 person likes this

That's awesome Sophie!

Are you fluent in all four languages?

I used to be borderline-fluent in French but I didn't take it in grade 12 so unfortunately I lost that near-fluency but I live in Quebec (a predominantly French Province in Canada,) so it wouldn't be difficult to get that near-fluency back. I can still read it very well though. I'm not fluent in German yet but I am on my way to being fluent and I will be doing a year abroad in Germany for school. I can speak and understand spoken German better than French, but I can read French better.

While I have no doubt I will become fluent in French and German, I can't say the same for Japanese. I can understand the spoken language much better than I can speak it. I can read Katakana and Hiragana but that won't get you far without Kanji. Japanese is incredibly hard (VERY different sentence structure, particles, verbs, etc.) But I will never stop studying it, and I know all the basics. So I can communicate in it.

2 people like this

I can't say the same for Japanese. I can understand the spoken language much better than I can speak it. I can read Katakana and Hiragana but that won't get you far without Kanji. Japanese is incredibly hard (VERY different sentence structure, particles, verbs, etc.) But I will never stop studying it, and I know all the basics. So I can communicate in it.

Agree, :). I remember visiting Japan during the springtime, and I was looking at a map of the train stations (the symbols were all in kanji). My dad told me that if I could find Tokyo, I could find our location. Well, I found Tokyo, but I quickly asked my dad," Dad, where are we now?"

I had to google Glaswegian to see if you were making that up. Lol.

Ah, yes, Glaswegian...

xxx

That was a funny vid! And I find it hilarious that that guy's wearing a cincinnati bearcats hat lol.

Agree, :). I remember visiting Japan during the springtime, and I was looking at a map of the train stations (the symbols were all in kanji). My dad told me that if I could find Tokyo, I could find our location. Well, I found Tokyo, but I quickly asked my dad," Dad, where are we now?"

You've been to Japan? I'm so jealous! I've always wanted to go. But I'm 19, plenty of time (I hope.)

Forums shortest post ever that still answers the question! lol

Technically I speak English, Croatian, Serbian, Italian, and French.

Fluently I speak English and Croatian.

Besides English (duh), I know a bit of Spanish and French. Right now I am taking German and I might take Japanese sometime later. 

English and Afrikaans primarily. Also Dutch and a bit of German and Hebrew

1 person likes this

Hello all! hmm I am Chinese, but i was born and I grew up in the Philippines.

I can speak: Filipino, English, Chinese Fookien dialect, Chinese Mandarin, and a little Spanish. 

2 people like this

Forums shortest post ever that still answers the question! lol

Technically I speak English, Croatian, Serbian, Italian, and French.

Fluently I speak English and Croatian.

Are Croatian and Serbian part of the same language family?

Are Croatian and Serbian part of the same language family?

Yes. Sometimes the words that come out of my mouth may be Serbian but I can't read Serbian because of it's alphabet. I can only read Croatian but when I speak it's a mix of both but if people ask me I just say Croatian cuz it's the one I can read.

Awesome!

Literally, I know none because I don't speak. :-D

Well, I can speak but I haven't practiced for years. I am deaf. Of course, I know how to type, write and read. I am thankful for that.

Visual/Sign Languages: American Sign Language ASL, French Sign Language LSF (some) and Russian Sign Language (little)

Spoken Languages: English, French (2 years in a college, I forgot most of it but remember how to read some), Traditional-Chinese (read little only, my wife is from Hong Kong and play Mahjong often with my wife's family)

:-)

4 people like this