Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Riccardo

Social Advice

6 posts in this topic

Here's the deal... I'm starved for a social life. I desperately want to go out and be around people, make new friends etc and so on, and I'm certainly not going to meet people sitting at home, but I just don't know where to go or what to do. I can't bar/club hop for obvious reasons. I've tried finding common interest groups on the internet, but it seems like there really isn't anything in Melbourne. Uni (college) is no help, people mostly keep to themselves and I barely ever see anyone who's not in my course. As for the people in my course, they don't want to do anything with me. This goes back to what I spoke about in my introducing myself threat, for those that saw it, about the lack of popularity brought on by waiting.

Is there anything I've missed? Some glaringly obvious social vein that has so far remained untapped by me? :P

I'd love to know what you think and what all of YOU do to be social/have fun.

I have met people through church stuff/Christian sorority I was in, intramural tennis, work at a dining hall, through mutual friends, dorm.....etc. I'm sorry your college isn't very social =( That really stinks! I don't understand why the "lack of pupularity brough on by waiting"---people from church stuff obviously are waiting too, but people t tennis or work or friends thru mutual friends don't all know I'm waiting. We talk about stuff and if that doesn't come up I don't bring it up. No reason for an argument.

I second Sally's idea about church. If I were living in a new strange town, that's where I'd start. Pick the biggest church in the area and find their youth group times.

Besides that...just how thoroughly did you search the internet for meetup groups? :D

I found these:

http://www.meetup.com/cities/au/melbourne/

...looks like tons of different activities. And if you can't find something that relates to a hobby you already participate in...try something new!

Thanks for your suggestions. Church is a no go partly because I'm not religious and partly because over here it's the religious people that drop their morals and values first (Source: I know a lot of church goers) :(

Lack of popularity through waiting because people can see that I don't spend my weekends 'getting with randoms' and that I never have a girlfriend. I never physically tell anyone that I'm waiting though.

Thanks for the link. I check that site and others pretty regularly, but I'm yet to find anything. There are a lot of things such a groups for people with disabilities, single mothers, people of a certain age etc and so on, I can't really go to things like that :P

Well, thanks for your help. I guess I'll just keep searching the internet.

Oh and another point against church is that I haven't found any churches with youth groups/activities. There are some youth activities in my suburb, but they're only for gays and people with disabilities.

Edited by Riccardo

I don't spend my weekends "geting with randoms" and I never have a bf either. I go on dates once in awhile, but that's about it. Real exciting, I KNow =P But I have high standards---no use compromising

Maybe the lack of popularity isn't because you don't spend your weekends 'getting with randoms' and that you never have a girlfriend. I don't ever have a boyfriend and I don't really go out clubbing even though a lot of my friends do go every weekend.

I think instead it's probably just because you're letting yourself blend into the background and going unnoticed because you're scared you won't be accepted by people just because you don't want to participate in the same activities that they do. I used to worry about that and I have a friend who was a bit of a recluse because he was so different to the people in his academic year but you just have to break free of your shell and just go for it. Be yourself with people, if they don't like it then that's their problem. You can adapt different parts of your personality to different types of people.

I used to be really shy and not know how to make new friends or meet new people but I joined a performing arts group a few years ago-I knew I'd enjoy it and that would give me confidence at the same time.

If you act confident around people you don't know too well and talk about things you know will interest them and you it draws in their attention so they want to start listening or talking to you. It's all about pretending to have confidence and just chatting about the situation you're in at that moment.

For meeting new people it is about activity groups and school really. I go to Lourdes once a year to help disabled people and you meet so many amazing people there and make great friends for life. See if you can find something like that perhaps or at a workplace like Sally said. It's easy to chat away to people you work with most of the time!

Hope all that waffle helps!