Sophie

Am I the only atheist here?

30 posts in this topic

I know some people have classified themselves as non-religious, but that doesn't mean no beliefs. I'm just wondering if I'm the only atheist on this forum. I consider myself Jewish-Atheist, as my family has always celebrated the four major holidays but my dad raised me to have no belief in God or any sort of religion, just a healthy respect for the Jewish culture and history.

Any Jewish people here? Lol.

Does a quarter-Jewish agnostic theist count? :lol:

Seriously though, Leo was the only hardcore atheist on here that I knew of, but we've had others in the comment threads on articles and such (not in the forums).

Hey Sophie,

I'm not an athiest, but I don't have any particular religous beliefs. Who knows, we may get some more athiests on here for ya yet. ;)

I wouldn't say I'm entirely atheist - I can't bring myself to believe that there's nothing to, well, believe in - but I'm definitely not religious. I just have some certain beliefs that I feel are a bit more than just opinions, and veer towards religious ideals.

1 person likes this

I just joined this site. I'm an atheist (not Jewish, though). Until today, I thought I was the only one. So, yea, there's at least 2 of us now. ;)

Maria Milagros is new on this site and she's an atheist and was asking if there are others ..............

I just joined this site. I'm an atheist (not Jewish, though). Until today, I thought I was the only one. So, yea, there's at least 2 of us now. ;)

Well I used to be a rare breed on this website. lol.

1 person likes this

I'm an atheist too. For curiosities sake, what made you all become waiters? The waiters I've met in the real world are religious.

I'm an atheist too. For curiosities sake, what made you all become waiters? The waiters I've met in the real world are religious.

I just despise the hook-up culture, as I feel it objectifies women terribly. We're more than objects for pleasure and childbirth. I also firmly believe that sex should only be for love (marriage or no marriage, it doesn't matter.) I have never wanted to share my body with more than one man. Just one: the love of my life (and I am the love of his life.) I don't think anyone can deny that WTM is the best way to make sure that happens.

2 people like this

I agree with you completely. Love that is shared with one person only seem so much more true.

I love reason number 4 in the WTM article "7 reasons why atheists wait until marriage": I don't want to be a dime a dozon girl who hooks up with guys at the bar, I want to be a jewel in the rough. Actually, that sounds kind of vain but I'm sure all of you like that you're different than most of the sexually active populace.

2 people like this

I agree with you completely. Love that is shared with one person only seem so much more true.

I love reason number 4 in the WTM article "7 reasons why atheists wait until marriage": I don't want to be a dime a dozon girl who hooks up with guys at the bar, I want to be a jewel in the rough. Actually, that sounds kind of vain but I'm sure all of you like that you're different than most of the sexually active populace.

I would much rather be the girl than a girl. :) That's my motto when anyone asks me why I am such a "prude."

I am agnostic.

I certainly have my agnostic moments. I never believe in God or religion, but sometimes I do consider a higher power. It's a fleeting thing, but definitely happens.

Well I think that everyone knows that I (M) am an atheist. Although I do have my moments where I consider agnosticism. Personally I'm an atheist because I just can't bring myself to believe that some deity created the world, took a massive interest in us at one specific point in history and then left us again. Yet still wants us to follow all their rules, worship them and serve them ceaselessly. It's just an inconceivable notion to me.

Like Sophie I do celebrate holidays, Christian ones. My family was (emphasis on the was) part of the United Church where we had an awesome Lesbian minister whose life partner was minister of our other church. We didn't go a lot but when we did it was fun and our minister played Guitar for us which was cool. I have nothing against religious types as long as they're not in your face about it. If they start using God as an argument then it's gone too far in my opinion.

Anyways yeah, I (M) am an atheist/sometimes agnostic.

Personally I'm an atheist because I just can't bring myself to believe that some deity created the world, took a massive interest in us at one specific point in history and then left us again. Yet still wants us to follow all their rules, worship them and serve them ceaselessly. It's just an inconceivable notion to me.

Technically, most religions don't teach that God created us and left us. Christianity, for example, teaches that God takes an interest in all of our lives, wanting a personal relationship with each one of us, and offering help and support when we ask Him. And Catholics of course also believe that every week at Mass, He is truly present as the Eucharist...

Sorry, I just like talking about my faith, I guess! I'll shut up now (for now, anyway...)

xxx

xxx

4 people like this

Yet still wants us to follow all their rules, worship them and serve them ceaselessly. It's just an inconceivable notion to me.

Same here. Plus, even if I did believe in God, or something up there, I definitely still wouldn't be religious. I remember talking to this lady who was a friend of my mom's close friend. We were all having dinner together, and the subject of God and Judaism came into the conversation. The lady, like me, was Jewish. This was like 5 years ago, so I don't remember anything about what we talked about, except that she said "We (Jews) are the apple of God's eye." First I thought, "jeez, conceited much?" And then I felt a bit sad that the possible-ruler over Earth or whatever favoured a certain group. Of course I don't believe any of this, and I don't think it says anywhere that God loves Jews best (he sure has a funny way of showing it.)

I'm atheist. I found this website when Leo's article on 7 Reasons Why Atheists Wait came up on Google.To be honest I only really identified with reasons 1 and 6, Logic and Idealism.

I've been surprised at how many conservative Christians there are around, I don't usually come into contact with them.

I'm not a church goer and I've never picked up a bible in my life but I do believe in the spiritual realm or "the other side" lol. I like to read books written by psychic mediums who have the ability to connect with spriritual beings like guardian angels and people who have crossed over. I find these things pretty fascinating lol I talk to God sometimes too lol I don't know if he can actually hear me but I always feel better afterwards.

1 person likes this

I'm not a church goer and I've never picked up a bible in my life but I do believe in the spiritual realm or "the other side" lol. I like to read books written by psychic mediums who have the ability to connect with spriritual beings like guardian angels and people who have crossed over. I find these things pretty fascinating lol I talk to God sometimes too lol I don't know if he can actually hear me but I always feel better afterwards.

Not an atheist then. lol. Pretty avatar, btw. Glad to have another Canadian here. :)

1 person likes this