miilliee

Alcohol??

96 posts in this topic

Drink? Absolutely.

I'm a beer connoisseur, but if it has a proof, it has an equal place in my heart.

Ohh, I drink wine too.

So yes, alcohol: all kinds.

3 people like this

I tend to become nauseous if I drink very much. I generally prefer not to drink, but if I do, I'm physically incapable of drinking to inebriation--I'll get sick long before I get drunk. The one alcoholic drink that I'm rather fond of is DeKuyper Buttershots brandy. It's like drinking a Werther's Original! Which is good. Werther's Originals taste like a meadow frolic. Nothing like coming home to a nice, tall roll of Werther's Originals after a hard day.

I've never had a drink. I dont see the appeal. I have numerous reasons as to why I dont drink:

• It is an expensive habit where I'm from due to taxes and duties and I'd much rather spend my money on other stuff
  • I dont fancy losing control of my actions
  • I dont like the taste/smell of it
  • My family are non-drinkers so I guess it's how I was brought up and is a part of my life-view
  • I dont need it to have fun - Im always the one draggin everyone onto the dancefloor!
  • I dont fancy the potential weight gain associated with drink
  • I dont like the fact that it can damage your health

I used to experience a lot of peer pressure when I was a teenager and in university to drink. There is a huge drink culture in my country so nobody understood my position. Every night I had to explain over and over my reasons for not drinking (hence my big list!). but yes I would go to events and nightclubs where everyone was plastered around me and have a good time.

I dont think people understand that not drinking is my personal choice and that I dont judge them for drinking. I think I lost a few friends when I was younger because they were paranoid that I thought I was better than them or because they felt like they had to hold back in front of me. To be honest I was happy as long as they just let me alone with my coca cola and they could do what they want. It's the same with waiting, no-one would understand if I told them I was waiting. Thats why I dont say it even to my closest friends. I know it would make them think I was judging them.

There isnt so much peer pressure now that Im in my mid 20s. I know quite a few non-drinkers and the drinkers are probably a bit more comfortable than they were in their teens and are more comfortable with people doing their own thing!

4 people like this

I dont know. Is it possible to have a social life WITHOUT alcohol? :unsure:

YES YES YES!!! I love going out with my friends!! It took them a while but they finally caught on to the fact that I could be a fun person to go out with even minus alcohol!! In fact a few of my friends tell me that they like going out with me coz it means that they dont have to drink as much and still have fun.

If you dont like the bar/club scene there are plenty of things to do. When I was in university I joined societies which was a really cool way to meet people and to do fun things. Then there is also the theatre, movies, comedy gigs, concerts, sports events that you can go to and enjoy without alcohol!

1 person likes this

i do not drink alcohol and never will. 

i have felt pressure to drink but i am so proud of myself for not giving into it.

i think there is so much more to life than getting drunk.

2 people like this

I've got nothing against careful/responsible drinking.

I compromised with my roommate and his girlfriend last week on my birthday. They wanted to go out and get me drunk (I'd only had alcohol twice and only a few sips), but we stayed in and had pizza and video games and and watched Duck Dynasty. Apparently I hold alcohol well; I had three vodka shots and 4 smallish glasses of vodka mixed with ch-something. I'd never been drunk or hung around drunk people, so I don't know how drunk I was but I was completely functional mentally, just had trouble speaking my thoughts, pouring water and playing the piano. lol. But I went to bed and got up for my 8 am class and felt fine.

I don't think drinking will be a regular thing for me though. Not really worth the money.

I have been raised to never drink any alcohol and will never start

I have felt pressure to drink by relatives but proud I always say no. 

My family are non drinkers and it's my life view that me and my wife can enjoy ourselves without getting drunk or wasted.

1 person likes this

A glass of wine, once in a blue blue moon.

I haven't had so much as that in 2 yrs.

Previous to that I attended a wine tasting event at The Biltmore Estate. It was quite lovely.

Honestly, if I never had another drink it wouldn't bother me.

1 person likes this

I didn't drink at all (except for the occasional hot toddy for colds) until I was nearly 30. I was too afraid of many things. Then I tasted a sip of wine my mom got. I actually enjoyed it. So, now I can drink a half a glass (sometimes a full glass) once in a while... by which I mean, I may have it once or twice a year... if that. I can't drink more than that, because I don't like the 'buzzed' feeling. The first time I got it, I asked my mom about it. When she told me that was normal, and that it wouldn't make me lose my senses, I was like... that's ok, I just don't like it.

Edit: I have felt pressured, mainly in high school, but I never fell into it. I also did have one sip, as a kid, and hated it. One sip when a teen. Liked it too much. So, then I just decided against it all together, until, like I said, my late 20s.

1 person likes this

I like to have a few drinks when my OCD is causing problems or I can't relax. I get really happy when I've been drinking. That having been said, I never drive after drinking.

Also, if I am out in a group, I can drink quite a bit. I drink more when there are women in the group because I don't believe that any woman could love me for who I am. Helps me relax.

I had my first drink when I was 13, but didn't get drunk until college. Even then, I've never blacked-out or vomited from drinking too much, the way some of my friends have. I drink more than my friends in some context, and less in others. For example, I am more prone to ordering a single glass of wine to go with my food in a restaurant, just for the sake of enjoying the taste of the drink and feeling a little relaxed. I will also occasionally make myself a Vodka and Redbull before doing some particularly scary homework, to take the edge of my anxiety off. My friends never do this; when they drink, it is usually to get intoxicated.

We're all big dorks and very safety-concerned, so we don't go to clubs or bars or anything. We just buy what we need from a liquor store and hold up in someone's home, chatting or playing video games. I've found that, even when I have been drunk, I've never really lost control. Sure, I'm less coordinated, and way more giggle-y, but I'm still entirely myself. Running into traffic is still a dumb idea, cheating is still bad, etc.

I don't usually feel much social pressure to drink. But then, since I *do* drink, there are very few situations where that would be necessary anyway. I don't always get as drunk as everyone else in the room, but if they see you with a drink in hand, most people are satisfied. I've occasionally accepted additional drinks when I probably should not have, but that's more misplaced Southern niceties than fear of social stigma. If you really don't want to drink and want to avoid social pressure, get a plain seltzer water. It will look identical to its boozy cousin, the vodka soda.

4 people like this

I don't drink, because there are four reasons people drink...

And they're all stupid reasons.

I don't drink, because there are four reasons people drink...

And they're all stupid reasons.

Reasons I have drunk alcohol in the past (which is like four times, at only one of which I had the chance to get buzzed):

-to try something new

-because my friends were drinking and I wanted to join in on that particular aspect of the evening

Reasons I will likely drink in the future:

-because a drink is offered by a friend or peer

-because I enjoy the feelings that alcohol causes in my body

Good luck arguing that these are stupid reasons. (I'm heading to work now so I may not reply immediately)

5 people like this

I enjoy a drink every now and then.  I wouldn't say that I drink excessively, but I've certainly been drunk on a number of occasions. That said, I've never had a negative experience when I've been drinking, and although I've been drunk, I have never been out of control, taken stupid risks, or been unaware of what I am doing entirely - I can always clearly remember the events of the evening/night in question.

I think it's a fun, social experience, and certainly at university almost all social events involved alcohol in some way - even college meetings would be accompanied by wine, and there were regular champagne receptions and port/cheese evenings.  I have never felt pressure to drink more than I should and to be honest I'm usually that person in the group that is taking care of others who have overindulged!

4 people like this

I don't drink at all.  I did tasted beer once, but it's not for me, and a friend of mine once poured vodka in my fruit juice (without my permission) and when I took a sip.. all I can say is "yeah".  But no alcohol for me.   I don't mind if my friends drink in front of me, but give me water and I'm a happy person

5 people like this

I don't drink at all and won’t ever. My first sip of beer was from my parents at the age of 6 LOL and I thought it was nasty, though I did like wine coolers. I have juvenile diabetes, so drinking will affect me health wise, but even before I was diagnosed I decided drinking was pointless for me. I watched what it did to other people and decided NOPE not for me :D.

I think the only buzz I will get is from chocolate, other than that I want to be in complete control of my reality. People who drink make me uncomfortable because you can feel that change in them. It’s just me, obviously because everyone gets mad when I explain this to them. But obviously most of my friends and family drink so I deal with being around them because I love them.

6 people like this

Reasons I have drunk alcohol in the past (which is like four times, at only one of which I had the chance to get buzzed):

-to try something new

-because my friends were drinking and I wanted to join in on that particular aspect of the evening

Reasons I will likely drink in the future:

-because a drink is offered by a friend or peer

-because I enjoy the feelings that alcohol causes in my body

Good luck arguing that these are stupid reasons. (I'm heading to work now so I may not reply immediately)

Why on earth would I want to argue with you?

I can't STAND it when people always want to start arguments, especially over little things. We can have a conversation about it some time, and I will explain why they are stupid reasons, but not when it's approached as a challenge.

I'm only a guy on a technicality (namely, my body parts and hormone proportions). I'm not into the "macho" art of challenging or being challenged on every viewpoint - maybe my testosterone isn't high enough. :P Discussion: yes. Challenges: no, thanks.

Besides, my reasons are complex and somewhat abstract, and in direct opposition with hedonism. So it would take a while to fully explain why the reasons people drink are stupid.

I respect your opinions, but I don't like being pressed to challenge yours, even if I know exactly how to do it. :P

So I present you now with a GENUINE smiley face, to represent my lack of hostility towards you, a hostility which may have accidentally suggested through this message:

:)

5 people like this

There is nothing quite as delectable as a glass of French red wine in the fall/winter or an icy cold beer in the spring/summer. I'm also partial to sparkling wine and beverages mixed with sparkling wine.

And you haven't really lived until you've had that glass of French red wine with a crusty baguette and creamy cheese picked up at local boulangerie and market.

2 people like this

Why on earth would I want to argue with you?

I can't STAND it when people always want to start arguments, especially over little things. We can have a conversation about it some time, and I will explain why they are stupid reasons, but not when it's approached as a challenge.

I'm only a guy on a technicality (namely, my body parts and hormone proportions). I'm not into the "macho" art of challenging or being challenged on every viewpoint - maybe my testosterone isn't high enough. :P Discussion: yes. Challenges: no, thanks.

Besides, my reasons are complex and somewhat abstract, and in direct opposition with hedonism. So it would take a while to fully explain why the reasons people drink are stupid.

I respect your opinions, but I don't like being pressed to challenge yours, even if I know exactly how to do it. :P

So I present you now with a GENUINE smiley face, to represent my lack of hostility towards you, a hostility which may have accidentally suggested through this message:

:)

I think we're using the verb "argue" differently.

Anyway, you may not like to start arguments, but making blanket statements deriding popular pastimes as always stupid or done for stupid reasons is certainly a good way to start them.

As I don't really much care whether you want to debate the merits of drinking, a better phrasing of my "challenge" as you put it would be something like, "I think saying every reason anyone has for drinking (or anything else; I didn't post because it was drinking, specifically) is stupid is a ridiculous thing to say."

Regardless, while I don't much care how macho you are or aren't or how macho i am or am not, I prefer direct challenges to passive aggressive quips like yours about knowing how to challenge my viewpoints.

I appreciate that you bear me no hostility. I do not either. I would have said the same thing to a close friend

4 people like this

I drink occasionally, if I feel like drinking. If I'm at a party, I may only drink a couple. For the most part, alcohol mellows me out, so I'm more of a party-pooper. :lol:

But sometimes, after a hard day of work, its nice to unwind with a glass.

I don't drink and wouldn't want to be a part of a relationship, romantic or otherwise, with someone who drinks. There are plenty of people out there who are social and great fun to be around without the influence of alcohol. I wouldn't start doing coke or marijuana if it was sociable to do so either.

I see no reason to lower my standards for people who don't respect my beliefs or feel the need to be intoxicated to have a good time.

It's definitely a pet peeve of mine. People always want you to lower your standards instead of raising their own. I see the same thing with work ethic, eating habits, physical fitness, and the obvious regarding premarital sex. So annoying.

I don't drink and wouldn't want to be a part of a relationship, romantic or otherwise, with someone who drinks. There are plenty of people out there who are social and great fun to be around without the influence of alcohol. I wouldn't start doing coke or marijuana if it was sociable to do so either.

I see no reason to lower my standards for people who don't respect my beliefs or feel the need to be intoxicated to have a good time.

It's definitely a pet peeve of mine. People always want you to lower your standards instead of raising their own. I see the same thing with work ethic, eating habits, physical fitness, and the obvious regarding premarital sex. So annoying.

Absolutely. People often drink because it's a social thing to do. And that's a horrible reason. If one thinks intoxication makes social gatherings better, or one feels one needs to conform, I think this person should think and long and hard about their life.

I don't need to drink to have a good time. If I needed to drink to have a good time, it simply would not be a genuine good time.

4 people like this