miilliee

Alcohol??

96 posts in this topic

A bit of a blunt topic really, im not the best at starting up posts, but anyway! What are your guys opinions on drinking?

Do you not drink? do you frequently drink? Do you have the occasional one, or in particular social situations? Do you go to social situations where alcohol's involved but not drink? Is there only a particular type of drink you have?

But most importantly: Have any of you ever had pressure to drink, or drink more than you would normally like to? Because, i have :(

2 people like this

Do you not drink?

-No, I do not drink. I have never consumed alcohol in my life.

Do you go to social situations where alcohol's involved but not drink?

-I have been in situations that involved alcohol... like parties and dinner engagements... but I have not consumed alcohol.

But most importantly: Have any of you ever had pressure to drink, or drink more than you would normally like to? Because, i have :(

-I have been pressured to drink multiple times throughout my life... especially while in college. My old suitemate told me that this one particular alcohol tasted like Kool-Aid... I told her that it did not smell like Kool-Aid. I almost caved a few times, but I finally realized that I did not want to risk the possiability of becoming an alcoholic (since alcoholism runs in my family). Don't feel sad... those were just lessons learned. It is hard to stand your ground when you are surrounded by people with negative traits. I will get better.

2 people like this

I don't drink. The biggest reason why not is simply just because I hate the taste of it. Even stuff like apple or fruit cider where you can't taste the alcohol in it, I don't get the point of: if you can't taste it, why not just have non-alcoholic? Plus, I hate the idea of getting drunk and doing crazy stuff and regretting it the next morning when there are photos of me dancing on tables on Facebook.

I think in my whole life, I've drank enough alcohol to fill a shotglass.

xxx

3 people like this

I drink. I'm mostly a social drinker and I'll have a few out with friends or camping or whenever I feel like it :P Everything in moderation; I like it because there's nothing like a cold beer out on the lake or after a long day at work. Nice and relaxing. With that said...I hardly drank at all before I was of age (21 in the U.S.)

4 people like this

I didn't drink much until I was like 23. And then suddenly I became comfortable drinking in public. Like it finally clicked that I was "of age." And then I was obliterated every Friday and Saturday night from ages 23.5-24.5. Fun times. Lots of high bar tabs. Lots of novel, multi-colored shots. That got it out of my system though.

These days I'll have a glass of wine every now and then, and will occasionally drink more when the event calls for it (e.g., bachelor parties and weddings), but the older I get, the less appealing it is. It's just not worth the hangover. So lately I've cut back even at weddings at such. At a wedding last weekend I actually stopped drinking half way through and went home sober. My heart's just not in the drinking anymore.

Now, when pot is legalized...that will be another story, because it's infinitely nicer on your body than alcohol.

3 people like this

It's just not worth the hangover.

So true. After you get past that initial thrill of being 21 and wanting to drink all the time...one or two drinks is usually enough for me of an evening.

4 people like this

So true. After you get past that initial thrill of being 21 and wanting to drink all the time...one or two drinks is usually enough for me of an evening.

Me too :) A morning of being shaky and nauseous with a headache.....no gracias!

2 people like this

I didn't drink alcohol at all until I was 18 (legal age in England) and then it was only a few beers with friends once a month-2 months (different work schedules)

I like most alcohols beer, whiskey, vodka the local cider is nice and so are some of the real ales from around here and I've tried alot of homebrewed stuff too: marrow whiskey, elderflower champagne, oak leaf wine, blackberry wine, rosehip wine, alcoholic ginger beer, nettle and ginger wine among others... Little tip don't smell the nettle wine first :D (trust me the Ginger makes it taste and smell so much better than without!)... but I NEVER drink around kids or get drunk and its normally anywhere between 2-6 months between going out with mates now as we normally do other things and and when we do occasionally go out for a couple of beers we normally go and get something to eat when we do... In all honesty I've always said when my wife gets pregnant with our first child then I'm not going to drink at all as to me my family is more important to me and I don't think alcohol is a good influence around children but i rarely drink alcohol and its not important to me so I could easily give it up and never drink again

Have I ever been pressured? Not really... My friends aren't like that and I wouldn't be friends with people who were

1 person likes this

I don't drink a lot. If I do drink, it's mostly for social events (and even then my limit is at least a glass or 1/2 a bottle).

1 person likes this

I drink. My mom never had a problem with me having Coronas at age 13, or trying wine and champagne and beer as a teenager. I've been drunk like...5-6 times in my life under the legal age of where I live (18.) Each time I told my parents and they didn't appear to be concerned. I have never had a blackout, or even a hangover because I have drunk to the point of being drunk, but never completely slammed. I don't ever drink unless I plan on getting drunk, which I like maybe 1-2 times a year. That's because I just think if I'm thirsty, I should have water or juice. I don't enjoy being drunk at all but I know my limit, so I'm not concerned about my safety. I only do this with friends.

It's not for me - I can't stand the smell, it just makes me want to vomit.

Plus I don't really like the idea that I could easily lose control of my body - that's a scary thought.

3 people like this

Aussie! Someone else who get the 'smell' thing! I can't stand it either, I don't know why. It just makes me nauseous, not my thing. I've never had a drink and I guess I just don't see any appeal in it. Nor do I like the idea of losing awareness or control.

3 people like this

Oh I forgot to answer the last question, Miilliee--

Yes, I get pressured to drink all the time. Not from my good friends, but from acquaintances and/or people who tend to drink quite a bit. Apparently I have a list of people I'm supposed to call 'when I do finally start drinking' so that they can be witnesses and buy me my first round. That will never happen, lol. :lol: I don't care what choices people make, as long as they aren't harmful to others and know that they need to take responsibility for the consequences, regardless... so it baffles me that anyone would get defensive or fired up when they learn that I've chosen not to drink.

2 people like this

Thanks for the responses guys :)

I asked this because, recently ive turned 18 (the legal age to drink in the UK) and im getting SOO much presure to go out all the time and just get really drunk-well, this isnt really my idea of fun: Loosing control of your body (like AussieStig said), being easily taken advantage of, doing stupid things, or becoming really sick because of it.

Im not saying alcohol is bad, because i drink myself (like, the odd drink or two) but a lot of alcohol, like you Claire, i dont like the taste of: I mean vodka and coke- the vodka just takes away the amazing sweet taste that we all love, and just makes it taste bitter.

I dont know what to do, because a lot of my close friends (since turning 18 and legally being able to drink) always go out primarily just to get drunk, and they never do anything else. Ive been out with them a couple of times, but i really dont see the fun of it. And i feel like if i dont go out with them il just end up loosing contact with them.

I dont know. Is it possible to have a social life WITHOUT alcohol? :unsure:

I feel the exact same about illegal drugs too which, luckily havent been pressured into YET.

2 people like this

I just want to put out a disclaimer for everyone who is worried about losing control of your body. From experience, I can say that a drink or two relaxes you a little, maybe makes you more talkative but that's it. Sometimes it nice to enjoy It that way to me. People lose control when they ignore the fact that they are feeling their drink(s). They just plow on and are irresponsible. That was me on my 21st. Shots are never a good idea. I just want people to understand the POV of someone who is moderate. I do not go out and get drunk most weekends, nor am I someone who never/will never drink.

3 people like this

I'm not even legal to drink yet :P I have drank before, but only a glass of wine/shampain if I'm at a family event, or a Wkd/vodka shot if I'm at a friends. I've never been drunk before and I don't plan on getting drunk... I've heard all the stories of my friends' drunken nights out and they sound horrible! I'm not against alcohol, I'm just against alcohol abuse and overconsumption

1 person likes this

I have never drank, and I never will. I don't really have anything against drinking in moderation, but the thought of psychoactive drugs in general scares me. Also, I don't handle moderation well, so I think it is a better idea that I just don't try.

On a slightly related note, did you guys know that you can make moonshine by fractionally distilling Listerine?

A bit of a blunt topic really, im not the best at starting up posts, but anyway! What are your guys opinions on drinking?

Do you not drink? do you frequently drink? Do you have the occasional one, or in particular social situations? Do you go to social situations where alcohol's involved but not drink? Is there only a particular type of drink you have?

Does Communion count? :D

Otherwise, no. I don't drink, I never have and I don't intend to start.

1 person likes this

Aside from the fact that I hate the taste and smell, I couldn't drink even if I wanted to because I have a heart condition. I also take medication that keeps the I&R level in my blood within a certain range and I have to test my blood every month just to make sure I'm maintaining that range. Consuming alcohol would throw off the readings.

So, alcohol just isn't for me. Instead, I judge the quality of a bar/club by the food they offer.

1 person likes this

I have had tiny sips of things a few times in my life (early 20's), but I didn't like the taste and no do not drink or try things now nor have I ever been drunk.

I agree with Envincebal--I don't hang out in bars but I must say from the handful of times I have been in one, they have had some of the most incredible food that I have ever tasted!

3 people like this

--I don't hang out in bars but I must say from the handful of times I have been in one, they have had some of the most incredible food that I have ever tasted!

Bar food is truly awesome lol!

2 people like this

I didn't drink in high school and stand by that decision. All of my friends had horrible experiences. I started when I was 20. I like beer mostly. I can't drink rum or whiskey anymore. I don't drink a ton, I usually only drink socially but the odd time I will have a beer at home by myself.

Drinking is fine as long as you 1) Don't drink and drive (you are a f&^%king tool if you do) and 2) you don't become dependent one it.

I didn't drink at all in high school - everyone in my peer group started getting drunk on the weekends around 15 or so. So I got lots of stories of all the stupid shit they did while drunk.

I've always had a drink or two at home with family, beer with dinner, eggnog at xmas etc.

Lately I've been kind of against alcohol - its expensive and I really don't see the point in drinking it, other than a cold beer on a hot day I don't enjoy it anyway.

4 people like this