Invincible

What is your ethnicity/national identity?

121 posts in this topic

I am a descendant of Turkmen shamanists from from Central Asia, from a Turkic tribe called Kayi and Kizil Oghuz originating from the Xiong-nu Empire its ruler called Mete Shanyu through the Göktürk Empire.

My ancestors travelled through Persia, to Anatolia. Their first settlement was in the Abbasid Caliphate. After some time they continued their journey to the Ottoman Empire.

My fathers lineage were royal Ottoman provincal soldiers called the timaroid sipahi, only Turkmen people were allowed in that division, it was a strict order.

My mother's ancestors were rebels called 'efe' or 'zeybek' in the late Ottoman era which was full of injustice and ruthless murderings.

We actually have nothing to do with the Ottomans other than the fact that my father's family served in the ethnic-Turkmen army division just to make a living.

2 people like this

I'm an American that has Northern European ancestry.

My primary ancestry is Norwegian, though my great grandmother comes from Swedish ancestry.

My paternal grandmother's family says that they are Irish, but I think they're German. Also from that side of the family, I have Cherokee ancestry.

My maternal grandmother's ancestry is German, but I have ancestors from the Alsace-Lorraine region, where there is German and French mixed population (the area is part of France now), so I more than likely have French ancestors.

My mother's ancestry is English, but that side has been in America (specifically Arkansas) since the early 1800s.

I'm Chinese American.

[wow it's been so long since I've been one here. *waves* It's nice to be back!]

Prussian and Dutch

When you said Prussian, it made me think of Prussia the character (and representative of that country) from Axis Powers Hetalia. Are you familiar with that series by any chance? He declares himself "awesome!"

I'm Chinese American.

[wow it's been so long since I've been one here. *waves* It's nice to be back!]

When you said Prussian, it made me think of Prussia the character (and representative of that country) from Axis Powers Hetalia. Are you familiar with that series by any chance? He declares himself "awesome!"

Yes, I have heard of it :)

Proudly Canadian!  As for ethnicity, I'm mostly English, with a foundling grandfather who was probably Irish and a great-grandmother who was French-Canadian.  My patrilineal great-great-grandfather was born in Liverpool and was [as far as I know] the last of my ancestors to come to Canada; his forefathers had a long history in Liverpool, which would explain why there are so many Lawrensons there still.  :P

Race:Black

Nationality:American

Ethnicity:
(Africa) 75%
Ivory Coast/Ghana 31%
Cameroon/Congo 23%
Nigeria 7%
Senegal 4%
Africa Southeastern Bantu 4%
Benin/Togo 4%
Mali 1%
Africa South-Central Hunter-Gatherers <1%

(Europe) 22%
Ireland 14%
Finland/Northwest Russia 4%
Great Britain 2%
Scandinavia <1%
Iberian Peninsula <1%

(America) 2%
Native American 2%

(Pacific Islander) <1% 
Polynesia <1%  

Results via AncestryDNA

post-41609-0-00649400-1408425600_thumb.j

2 people like this

Am a black/ African, Xhosa woman from South Africa ... In the rural areas Mthatha, but am in East London city now in the Eastern Cape.

3 people like this

I'm actually not completely sure. My mom tells me that I'm Irish, German, 2 or 3 types of American Indian, Jewish on her side and English and American Indian on my dads side. Like I said, not sure. Culturally I'm not even sure where I fit in. I'm not sure I fit in anywhere, actually. :)

I am 90% African American and 10% Native American. My mom's last name is Cloud (which is probably an Indian name).

1 person likes this

1/4 Swedish and 1/4 Finnish from my mother's side, and some odd mix of Irish/German/Polish on my father's side.

Did I already post? If not here it goes!

I am Jewish, German, Greek, Irish, Italian, French, Cherokee, Spanird, Isreali, english, and African from both south and west but born in America!

I speak a little Spanish and I'm learning German and afrikaans.

1 person likes this

So many mixes here, I feel so left out xD

Ofc, everyone is mixed in the end, but I don't have any 'known' non-Turkic ancestor that intermarried with my family. After all, my ancestors were nomadic tribals from a strict Turkmen-Oghuz tribe.

We most probably have some admixture with Chinese and Yeniseians to a small degree, and to a larger degree with Mongolians and Sogdians.

But the local population of Turkey is highly intermixed with the Albanians, Greeks and other minorities.

2 people like this

By blood, I'm Irish/Italian/Maltese/African/possibly Australian. Culturally, most of my friends are either Jamaican or Asian, and at home I watch American shows on TV and anime on computer... So even though I live in Britain, I'm the worst person to probe about life in the UK xD I've had way more pastas and stir-fries than English breakfasts.

But I can do the majority of British accents :D so I am quite British-ish.

1 person likes this

On my mom's side it's Native American there was a full-blooded Cherokee Indian, who married one of my mom's ancestors we couldn't research it too much because she didn't have a last name. She was born in the last 1800's. I want to say she would have been like a great great great grandma to me, but im not 100% sure where she fits in..

on my dad's side his ancestors are mostly from Wales. Not sure how we ended up in America on his side of the family.... 

1 person likes this

Black Eyed Peas referenced a little bit of this in "Like That" xD they steal/reference so many little clips like that.

2 people like this

By blood, I'm Irish/Italian/Maltese/African/possibly Australian. Culturally, most of my friends are either Jamaican or Asian, and at home I watch American shows on TV and anime on computer... So even though I live in Britain, I'm the worst person to probe about life in the UK xD I've had way more pastas and stir-fries than English breakfasts.

But I can do the majority of British accents :D so I am quite British-ish.

LOL! That's funny. I had this friend who was Chinese living in Norway and he was more American patriotic than most Americans. He kept up with the news for this country every day. It was awesomely crazy. So don't feel bad at least it's a funny story to tell. How many different accents are there? I've made out like 3..?

I like this thread :D.

I recently looked up my family tree. Lots of artists, which explains a lot. But I'm Polish, Irish, German, Norwegian, Danish, Italian, possibly Russian too.

1 person likes this

LOL! That's funny. I had this friend who was Chinese living in Norway and he was more American patriotic than most Americans. He kept up with the news for this country every day. It was awesomely crazy. So don't feel bad at least it's a funny story to tell. How many different accents are there? I've made out like 3..?

I like this thread :D.

I recently looked up my family tree. Lots of artists, which explains a lot. But I'm Polish, Irish, German, Norwegian, Danish, Italian, possibly Russian too.

:) That's pretty cool. My English friend always talks about these British traditions and meals that I've never even heard of, I wish they had taught us in school lol. Thanks :)  well London itself has at least 6 different accents that I can think of... Then up North there's a few, Wales and Scotland have their own. 

Wow a whole cocktail of countries :D our ancestors got around a bit.

:) That's pretty cool. My English friend always talks about these British traditions and meals that I've never even heard of, I wish they had taught us in school lol. Thanks :)  well London itself has at least 6 different accents that I can think of... Then up North there's a few, Wales and Scotland have their own. 

Wow a whole cocktail of countries :D our ancestors got around a bit.

Hahaha! Well you now know what you must research! I feel like I need to go back on American History too :| what we have now is just so far from what our founding fathers wanted LOL! Wow 6? I guess that's like all of our accents here, but that's so funny I want to hear them all!!

Yes. Indeed they did LOL! ;D

1 person likes this

This is a topic that absolutely fascinates me.  ^_^
Proud to call myself British; Welsh, to be specific.
But, when I look back, I guess I'm a real Heinz 57: Welsh, Irish, French, Italian, Danish, Bulgarian, Russian, and even some Native American.
Most of these I've simply been told of; so I'd absolutely love to research it, in-depth.

1 person likes this

Nationally: Born in Germany. I had dual citizenship with Germany and the US but had to choose between the two. So my nationally is American.

Im Latvian,Norwegian,Romanian

On 6/30/2014 at 6:53 PM, samaye said:

A Heinz 57 (points if you know what that means!)

So the parental units had their DNA tested, and of I go by their combined DNA I'm :

28% Scandinavian

25% Irish

25% Great Britain

7.5% west European

6.5% Iberian peninsula

4% Italian/Greece

3% east European

.5% Caucasus

< .5% south Asia

But that's just a guesstimate :lol: