Invincible

Do you consider yourself high maintenance?

20 posts in this topic

One of thing common complaints that guys have about girls is some being high maintenance. I know some guys are this way, but I feel like this is much more common among girls. Some of these traits include but not limited to:

1. Always feeling like you need tons of makeup just to make a quick run to the store.

2. You feel like you alwao be reassured every five minutes that you're beautiful.

3. Requiring lots of attention and gifts to stay happy.

Etc.

So ladies, where are you in the high-low maintenance spectrum?

One of thing common complaints that guys have about girls is some being high maintenance. I know some guys are this way, but I feel like this is much more common among girls. Some of these traits include but not limited to:

1. Always feeling like you need tons of makeup just to make a quick run to the store.

2. You feel like you alwao be reassured every five minutes that you're beautiful.

Etc.

I consider myself fairly low maintenance in those areas

1) About the make-up-- I wear virtually none on a daily basis---I figure I can be loved for who i am as i am without lots of make-up.

2) I do not have to be reassured every five minutes that I am beautiful but comments ever so often meant from the heart would be nice--it would be nice ever so often to hear my future husband or a serious boyfriend say he finds me beautiful and attractive. Being loved for who i am as a person is so much greater than my physical beauty.

3) i think quality time spent together and good communication are extremely important but i wouldn't need a guy's constant attention--regarding gifts--that is not a big deal--i live rather simply in a rented bedroom, so possessions and fancy gifts aren't necessary.

How a man treats and respects me and his character will speak much more loudly to me than any gifts ever could.

5 people like this

Omg Vince! Good question!

1. no

2. no

3. no

I'm probably considered in between. When I go out people think I'm very high-maintenance but on any ordinary day I'm very laid back. I'm probably considered "Girl next door". Medium maintenance but can dress up really girly when the occasion calls for it.

2 people like this

Omg Vince! Good question!

1. no

2. no

3. no

I'm probably considered in between. When I go out people think I'm very high-maintenance but on any ordinary day I'm very laid back. I'm probably considered "Girl next door". Medium maintenance but can dress up really girly when the occasion calls for it.

I'm with ya OHG!! Sometimes, especially in summer or if I'm just going to class, I go au natural haha. 2. is annoying...really ?! Compliments here and there are nice and good, but yeah. 3. ummm no. I'd also say I'm pretty whatever day to day, cute but casual. If I need to I can dress up when needed but it's not like I try to do that everyday..

3 people like this

Etc.

I have never worn make-up in my entire life. Wait, that's a lie: ONCE. At a Marilyn Manson concert. XD first and only time, and I hated it. And when I say no make-up, I mean ALL kinds: eye-liner, eye-shadow, cover-up...whatever's left. I don't need to be reassured that I am beautiful lots but it's always nice to hear it sometimes! lol. I don't need gifts, and...okay I've actually never dated before so I'm not sure if I need gifts and attention from a guy in order to be happy. I'm 19, and decided not to date until at least age 20. I think I will just need to feel appreciated, needed, and loved. :) No jewelry necessary.

2 people like this

I have never worn make-up in my entire life. Wait, that's a lie: ONCE. At a Marilyn Manson concert. XD first and only time, and I hated it. And when I say no make-up, I mean ALL kinds: eye-liner, eye-shadow, cover-up...whatever's left. I don't need to be reassured that I am beautiful lots but it's always nice to hear it sometimes! lol. I don't need gifts, and...okay I've actually never dated before so I'm not sure if I need gifts and attention from a guy in order to be happy. I'm 19, and decided not to date until at least age 20. I think I will just need to feel appreciated, needed, and loved. :) No jewelry necessary.

Sophie, I wish all girls had your view on makeup. All those chemicals and powder can't be good for the skin.

3 people like this

Sophie, I wish all girls had your view on makeup. All those chemicals and powder can't be good for the skin.

Yeah, I don't think they are at all. Science shows it ages you faster, and the faster you age the more make-up you wear and then the older you look. And it aggravates acne and makes you more prone to skin cancer. I think everyone is so much more beautiful without make-up. I love "natural beauty." :) But to each their own.

3 people like this

If that's what you consider high maintenance, then no I don't call myself such. Do I wear make-up? Yes, can I make a run to Wal-Mart or leae the house without it? Yes. I'm the kinda girl that can be ready infive minutes but its fun when I get to sen the time. A guy friend call me high maintenance once but his definition was different and since I don't view myself in that light I was a little taken back. He walked about various thins. In the end I told him, what does it matter if I'm the one doing the maintaining? I'm not asking someone else to fund it and I don't hold up social events for it. I know the difference between paying my electricty bill and splurging on a manicure.

3 people like this

If that's what you consider high maintenance, then no I don't call myself such. Do I wear make-up? Yes, can I make a run to Wal-Mart or leae the house without it? Yes. I'm the kinda girl that can be ready infive minutes but its fun when I get to sen the time. A guy friend call me high maintenance once but his definition was different and since I don't view myself in that light I was a little taken back. He walked about various thins. In the end I told him, what does it matter if I'm the one doing the maintaining? I'm not asking someone else to fund it and I don't hold up social events for it. I know the difference between paying my electricty bill and splurging on a manicure.

You summed me up perfectly as well :D

2 people like this

Under those terms. No. :) In some other ways, sure. Maybe, anyway. I don't wear makeup. Well, rarely... MAYBE a little on special occasions, but even then it's rare. I'm more of a dress up and use accessories kind of girl for most special things. I do feel the need to at least look half way decent in jeans and a t, or skirt (if it's anything but winter... I live in AZ and love wearing skirts) if I go to a store.

I'm more high maintenance in emotional ways, but I don't need to hear I am beautiful every 5 minutes. I mean, if you even say it too often it becomes unbelievable. I am more apt to pay attention to your reaction when you see me step into view in a nice sundress, well fit jeans, or even sweats, than I am to a constant bombardment of compliments. You can tell much by an unplanned look. On the other hand, to hear it once in a while is nice.

Fortunately, my taste in jewelry is kind of odd. I like the clunky stuff, when I do wear it. It could be said that it's my ID trying to be noticed, because most of me is so quiet and plain. So, most of the jewelry that I do have is kind of cheap. A dainty piece here and there for some occasions, I do have. Mostly because my mom has gotten me a few pieces. :) I would rather have a cool piece of antique clunk from a pawn shop than a new, pricey, dainty diamond. Weird, right? lol

1 person likes this

With regard to putting on makeup (or doing whatever it is you want to do, or feel the need to do, to your appearance) before you step out of the house, I don't think it's the amount of stuff you do that makes you high maintenance.  I think what makes you high maintenance is when your routine inconveniences others.  If it takes you an hour (or two, or more!) to get ready, I don't think that makes you high maintenance provided you didn't hog the bathroom when someone else needed to use it and you started your routine early enough that you finished on time and didn't keep others waiting.  If, however, you keep others waiting (and expect or demand that others wait on you without recourse) or inconvenience others in some other way, then yes, I do think that makes you high maintenance. 

4 people like this

According to these three questions, no I am not high maintenance. But, according to my Mom and Grandma, I've become sassy ;D

According to these three questions, no I am not high maintenance. But, according to my Mom and Grandma, I've become sassy ;D

Being sassy sounds like a good thing to me!  B)

giphy.gif

1 person likes this

Color me surprised that in a society that values women based on their looks, some women will then absorb that message, aspire to the societal ideal, and need reassurance that they're attractive enough.

Color me even more surprised that when women act as they've been taught, they're still judged and shamed for it.

Maybe when children's TV shows and movies stop portraying female characters, even animated ones, in unnecessarily sexual and/or decorative ways, I'll start to judge women who are insecure about their appearance. Until then, it's a symptom of a bigger problem.

2 people like this

Etc.

How much is too much? Is lipstick and eyeliner too much? Is it too much if you put on foundation and concealer with it? What about just concealer and mascara? Or just lipstick? How often is "every five minutes"? Once a day? Twice a week? Three times a year? How much attention is too much? How many gifts are too many?

You've pointed out are things that could be symptomatic of an high-maintenance (what does that mean?) woman, but all those things you mentioned are not specific characteristics that you can only find in high-maintenance (insecure?) women. Sure, there's a degree where these things can become life-sucking and toxic, but sometimes it's matter of her not feeling as loved when he cleans the room vs. watching a movie together.

IMO, the term "high-maintenance" fudges the line between toxic and the need for communication, which is Not a Good Thing.

Have you read The Five Love Languages by Chapman? All the things you listed are different ways people like to receive love. There is nothing inherently wrong with make-up/compliments/attention/gifts themselves.

Also, someone out there will always think I'm too high-maintenance. They are not my friends.

3 people like this

I'd same I am very low maintenance when it comes to makeup and such. Mostly, because I don't wear makeup and it takes me 15 mins to get ready while I'm still waiting an hour later for my friends to be ready to go out. lol

I am probably a lot more emotionally high maintenance. I need to be reassured with a compliment or some time together or just a hug. But those are my love languages and I don't think I'm asking too much if the person really does care for me. 

Half the time yes to all of those half the time no. I don't like to be too predictable. Im usually an all or nothing person. So in short yeah but I can go with the flow when it's required too.

With regard to putting on makeup (or doing whatever it is you want to do, or feel the need to do, to your appearance) before you step out of the house, I don't think it's the amount of stuff you do that makes you high maintenance.  I think what makes you high maintenance is when your routine inconveniences others.  If it takes you an hour (or two, or more!) to get ready, I don't think that makes you high maintenance provided you didn't hog the bathroom when someone else needed to use it and you started your routine early enough that you finished on time and didn't keep others waiting.  If, however, you keep others waiting (and expect or demand that others to wait on you without recourse) or inconvenience others in some other way, then yes, I do think that makes you high maintenance.

This.

1 person likes this

In my mind,

high maintenance = repeated selfish behaviors, self-entitled ness, expecting and demanding too much from others without giving anything back or without putting in your own fair amount of effort into things/relationships etc May also include constant attention seeking behaviors like being needy, always playing victim etc.

2 people like this

i dont wear makeup and i dont curl my hair or anything. just give it a brush so its not a mess and a little perfume when im going out. i dont wear jewelry unless im like going out to eat dinner. i love getting dolled up but for me that just means pretty dress, fancy shoes lol